We Made It

We landed in Savannah in the wee hours of the morning. Then just a quick bus trip to processing. I did notice a Mansfield C130 on the ramp as we drove by, but that was not to be our ride. Thankfully there were some box lunches so we were able to at least eat something.

We flew commercial home, which meant that we were all split up onto three different flights. Thankfully I was on the first flight at seven and also thankfully the baggage rules don’t really apply when you’re traveling on orders (one of my bags weighed nearly 80lbs).

Over the years I’ve been on a few flights here or there. I’ve noticed that when you have a connecting flight, the distance between gates is inversely proportional to the amount of time you have to get there. We had a layover in Charlotte, and while we had plenty of time to get to the next gate, we still ended up walking through half the airport.

On a side note apparently TSA just trusts you more when you’re in uniform. I won’t bother listing the things I forgot to take out of my backpack.

Because we had groups getting in at different times we had the option to either wait for the last group and get bussed back to Mansfield or, if we could, get picked up in Columbus where we were flying into. Luckily there was an extra seat in the truck of one fellow whose father was picking a group up. We got dropped off at the base in Mansfield and from there I got a ride with another guy who lived in Avon. Originally he was going to drop me off at home, but then I had him drop me off at The Pietras’ and had Flower pick me up there.

For some reason, out of know where during this adventure I had resolved that regardless of how I felt, we were going to go out for steak that night. Well sometimes things just work out and the universe (in either a case of deciding not to be a total ass, or at the very least not paying a whole lot of attention) decided that it would be a lot easier if my parents just brought over some steaks for Flower, The Peanut and I to cook that night. Mission accomplished.

And with that the first of which will no doubt be many experiences with the 200th RED HORSE was over and while I can’t wait for the next one, I’m looking forward to spending some time at home.

Author: Jonathan Rodriguez-Lucas

I've traveled the world, but the exploration never ends. I've run marathons, but the race is far from over. I've completed life goals, but strive for more. I have questions with no answers, and answers to questions I've yet to ask.

Where are you going? Where have you been?

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: